5 sweet potatoes (about 3.5 cups) OR 3 (14.5 ounce) cans mashed sweet potatoes
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1. Bake sweet potatoes at 400 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes. Remove skins and mash potatoes in a bowl. (Not necessary if using canned sweet potatoes.)
2. Combine first 7 ingredients, stirring until smooth. Pour into a lightly greased 2.5 quart casserole. Cover sweet potato mixture and refrigerate up to three days.
3. Combine brown sugar and remaining ingredients, stirring with a fork. Cover and refrigerate separately.
4. Remove sweet potato casserole and brown sugar topping from refrigerator; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sprinkle topping evenly over sweet potato mixture.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Makes 10 to 12 servings.